Settlements,

Early Communities,

and Ghost Towns

 

 

There are several interesting books available discussing the various ghost towns of Western Michigan, but our experience has been that the still corporal residents of many of these sites would question the designation of "Ghost Town". Still, there were many settlements in the area, which ranged at one time from thriving communities to a simple four corners with a few houses of which today most people have no knowledge.

 

Our thanks to Sandy Peavey for providing much of the historical information and write-ups on these early settlements.

 

An excellent source for further information, and a reference we have used extensively on the early settlements and place names is the Historical Gazetteer of Newaygo County, Michigan, compiled by Ronald Steven Taylor of Newaygo, Michigan and copyright 1985.

 

Name

Sec.

Location

Image/PDF 

Notes

Status

ASHLAND TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

5 Corners

1

96th, Colonial, & M37 (Mason)

No

Also in Grant, Garfield, and Brooks Townships. Not in Sandy's list.

Only houses and modern structures

Ashland

25/36

136th & M37 (Mason)

History

 Brooks Township until Ashland was organized in 1854; named from the abundance of white ash timber in the area. John Betts became the first postmaster 2 June 1855 the office remained in operation until 16 January 1871; on 17 December 1894. The Ashland Centre post office was renamed Ashland but it was closed on 14 April 1904.

Only houses and modern structures

Ashland Center / Ashland Station

15/22

120th & McClelland

History

Settled in 1850 to distinguish it from Ashland in the same county and township, it was given a post office named Lake, opened on 19 March 1869 with Rensselaer Brace as its first postmaster; the office was closed 14 September 1870, but restored again with Mr. Brace as postmaster on 7 December 7 1871 and operated until 31 October 1908; since the Ashland post office was now closed, Ashland Centre was given a post office under its own name, with Sullivan Armstrong becoming its first postmaster, May 6, 1879, but this was changed to Ashland on Dec 17, 1894 until it was closed on 14 April 1904.

Ashland Township hall, homes, & church located here

Ashland City

 

 

History

Probably the same as Ashland Center.

 

Ashland Corners

27/34

Probably 136th & McClelland

 

 

 

Blanch Lake

 

 

 

A summer resort colony in Ashland Township in 1878.

 

Dickinson

30

Probably 28th & Alger

History

Named after Dar M. Dickinson, a prominent Michigan democrat. A post office operated here from May 31, 1888 to June 29, 1901. (Taylor)

 

Grant

13/24

120th & M37 (Mason)

1, History

A station on the branch of the Chicago and Western Michigan Railroad was named Grant Station in honor of General U.S. Grant by Andrew Squier, who built a sawmill here in 1882. Grant Station received a post office May 14, 1892. The name was shortened to Grant on January 10, 1899; also called Grant Center from its location in the township. Incorporated as a village 1893.  

Now a modern community

Grant Center

 

 

History

See Grant

 

Grant Station

 

 

History

See Grant

 

Jericho

 

 

 

Edward A. Darby became the first postmaster of this rural post office August  13, 1881. The post office closed on September 22, 1882.

 

Lake

 

 

History

See Ashland Center. Also known as Shantyville.

 

Lambson

 

 

History

Located one half mile north of Ashland Station. Joel Fellows re-established the post office in his home at Lambson after it was closed at Ashland Station. 

 

BARTON TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Hawkins

2/3/10/11

17 Mile & Cottonwood

 

Named for George D. Hawkings, a storekeeper who became the first postmaster on November 13, 1889. The post office closed on September 14, 1903. (Vincent) (Grinnell, Norman E., Audit of Historical Settlements in Northern Newaygo County, 1976.) 

 

Parks

27/28/33/34

13 Mile & Cypress

 

On 4, January 4, 1892 John A. Bartman became the first postmaster. The post office closed on May 31, 1912. Named for the Parks family, who lived there.

 

BEAVER TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Cole Creek  

 

 

 

On April 27, 1904 farmer David Maynard became the first postmaster. The office remained in operation until 28 February 1907.  

 

Giddings Corner

19/20/29/30

8 Mile & Dickinson

 

(Taylor)

 

Shaw

 

 

 

Located five miles from Bitely. On July 30, 1897 Edward G. Hulst became the first postmaster. The office closed on August 16, 1909.

 

Thompson Corners

20/21/28/29

8 Mile & Comstock

 

Not in Sandy's list

 

Volney

7/8/17/18

10 Mile & Dickinson

Gallery

A country store with a post office. Jesse P. Delong became the first postmaster on August 31, 1880. The post office was in operation from August 31, 1880 until August 16,1909. The names Olney and Viola were submitted to the post-office dept., however, towns with these names already existed. The postal service then took the V from Viola and added it to Olney to produce Volney. Plans were, at one time, to rebuild Volney as a religious community named Gracetown.   (Vincent) (Grinnell, Norman E., Audit of Historical Settlements in Northern Newaygo County, 1976.)

Still occupied by a few houses. Also site of Beaver Township hall. See the image gallery for further information.

BIG PRAIRIE TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Big Prairie

16/17

20th & Elm

History 

First post office was established in 1852 February 4, closed September 3, 1909. Ephraim H. Utley was the first postmaster.  

 

Cox's Corners

 

 

 

See Utley's Corners. (Note there is also a Cox's Corners in Sherman Township.) (Taylor)

 

Haight's Corners

8/9/16/17

12th & Elm

 

(Taylor)

 

Ox Bow / Oxbow

27/28/33/34

40th & Cypress

 

 

 

Trumbull Corners

4/5

Baseline & Elm

 

Also in Goodwell Township. Not in Sandy's list.

No evidence of any structures or past settlement.

Utley's Corners

7

12th & Pine

 

Also in Everett Township. Also known as Cox's Corners. (Note there is also a Cox's Corners in Sherman Township.) (Taylor)

 

BRIDGETON TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Bridgeton

13

112th & Warner

1 

First settled in 1849, Bridgeton Township was first organized in 1852. Its village began with the sawmill of Isaac D, Merrill (for whom Merrill Township, north of Bridgeton was named), in 1854. Both the town and the township were named for the bridge crossing the Muskegon River here; Amos Slater became the first postmaster 29 July 1857; the office closed 21 May 1860, but reopened 27 June 1861 to 31 December 1913.

 

McLean / McLean's

9/10

108th & Green

1

Named for John W. McLean who became its first postmaster on 3 May 1898 the office stayed open until 31 May 1909.

Structure (former township hall) standing but inactive

Sitka

5/6

96th & Dickinson

1, 2 

Named Sitka because of Sitka being in the news as the capital of Alaska, which the American government had just purchased from Russia on 1867. Halby W. Crawford became its first postmaster on 14 December 1868, the post office was closed on 2 February 1885 but was reopened 15 December 1891 to 31 October 1901. Also in Sheridan Township

A small, close knit and very friendly community still exists. United Methodist Church is still active. The October Group would like to extend their appreciation to members of this church for the hospitality and assistance provided to them during the investigation of the Sitka area, particularly with the Sitka-Wilde cemetery.

BROOKS TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

5 Corners

31

96th, Colonial, & M37 (Mason)

No

Also in Grant, Garfield, and Brooks Townships. Not in Sandy's list.

Only houses and modern structures

Hess Village

 

West end of Hess Lake

1976 Article

 

No evidence of former community or mill remains, and the area now consists of private homes and cottages.

Newaygo

19

M82 & M37

Gallery 

Also in Garfield Township. Originally incorporated as a village in 1867, Newaygo was later incorporated as a city on September 1, 1967. The city was named for the Chippewa Indian Chief Naw-wa-goo, who signed the Treaty of Saginaw in 1812. Jack McBride, a lumberman, established the first claims here. Mr. McBride sold his claim to George W. Walton who in turn sold to John A. Brooks who first arrived in the area around 1836 and became the first postmaster on December 30, 1847. Mr. Brooks is considered to be the founder of Newaygo. In 1883, much of the settlement was destroyed in a fire, and so most of the structures today date from that time forward.

 

Palmetown(?)

22

South end of Hazelwood

 

 

 

Ryan's Corners

1/12

56th & Pine

History #1, History #2, Description

Also in Croton Township. A former stop on the Big Rapids (Leonard) and Grand Rapids stage coach route.

Although Pine Avenue no longer continues north of 56th Street, as this document indicates it did as a stage coach route. Pine resumes about 1/4 mile south of 48th street.

CROTON TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Croton-Hardy

8, 17

Croton Drive between Croton and Hardy dams

1880 Croton Platt, Van's Grocery, Village of Croton

First settled in 1840 by Louis Bohne and John F. Sterns who built the first sawmill here; Croton was also called Muskegon Forks. M. Sterns bought out his partner it became Sterns Mills and was given a post office with that name on December 30, 1847; Mr. Sterns was the first postmaster. On September 25, 1850 he had it renamed Croton, after the Croton Water works in New York which the area reminded him of. The village was platted in 1854 and incorporated in 1870. The post office remained open until January 31, 1908. 

Small community still exists. Good fishing on the pond.

Croton Heights

9

Probably along Croton Hardy Drive

 

 

 

Hardy

 

 

 

See Croton

 

Muskegon Forks

 

 

 

See Croton

 

Oak Grove

20/21

76th & Elm

1, 2 

Not in Sandy's list.

 

Ryan's Corners

6/7

56th & Pine

History #1, History #2, Description

Also in Brooks Township. A former stop on the Big Rapids (Leonard) and Grand Rapids stage coach route.

Although Pine Avenue no longer continues north of 56th Street, as this document indicates it did as a stage coach route. Pine resumes about 1/4 mile south of 48th street.

Stern’s Mill

 

 

 

See Croton 

 

Tifts Corners

27/28/33/34

M82 (Formerly M46, aka 88th) & Cypress

 

Not in Sandy's list

Former site of the once popular Tift's Restaurant, only a sign remains.

DAYTON TOWNSHIP

 

 

History

 

 

Clark’s Corner  

31

48th (M82) & Maple Island (M120) 

 

Also in Sheridan Township. Also in Muskegon and Oceana Counties. Now referred to as 5 Mile Corner by locals. 

Gas station, motorcycle dealership, farm implement store, etc. Clark Cemetery is also located here.

Dayton Center  

16/17/20/21

24th & Comstock

 No

 

 

Devil Lake’s (Corner)

14/15/22/23

24th & Stone

 No

Once a small saw mill settlement with 3 operating  mills.

 Leo's, a salvage yard is the only structure. Lake is dried up.

Fremont

34/35/36

48th & M82

Gallery 

Also in Sheridan Township. Named for  Civil War general and explorer by Samuel Shupe. Daniel Weaver became the first postmaster on August 23, 1856 under the name of Weaversville. At one time this community may have also been known as Newfoundland.

 

Fremont Center

 

 

 

Also in Sheridan Township.

 

Newfoundland

 

 

 

Also in Sheridan Township. See Fremont. The Portrait & Biographical Album of Newaygo County gives the following: "Mr. Alton returned home in the spring, and Philip and Wallace Dickinson came to Fremont, then called Newfoundland, March 7,1855, where they spent their first night in the 'old log house."

 

Stumpy Corner

2/3/10/11

8th & Stone

 

 

 

Panama

 

 

 

Located 5 miles north of Fremont, settled in 1888.

 

Weaverville / Weaversville

 

 

 

Also in Sheridan Township. See Fremont. Name changed to Fremont Center in 1862, then Fremont in 1911.

 

Wilcox

20

28th & Fitzgerald?

 

Storekeeper Miran M. Deake became the first postmaster of this rural post office in Dayton Township on May 28, 1898 the office remained operating until 31 October 1903.

 

DENVER TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Aetna

25/36

M20/1 Mile & Luce

History Map

Also in Lincoln Township. Founded in 1867 by C. A. Bruce, Wesley Young and John Mansfield, sawmill operations here on White River in Denver Township; Levi W.  Simons became its first postmaster on 14 January 1870, the office operating until 14 April 1904; now a hamlet.

 

Greenwood

 

 

 

See Hesperia.

 

Hesperia

30/31

1 Mile (M20) and Maple Island Road

 

Also in Oceana County. Formerly known as Greenwood. Post office opened on August 2, 1867, incorporated as a village in 1883. Post office moved into Oceana County on November 17, 1897.

Still an active, modern community.

Huber

8/9/16/17

4 Mile & Comstock

Gallery

John H. Koopman operated a store here and became the first postmaster on 23 March 23, 1901. Mr. Koopman named Huber after Huber Hilton, the son of state representative George Hilton of Fremont, whohelped Mr. Koopman get his post office. The post office closed on February 28, 1907.  

Nothing much remains beyond four corners, the cemetery, and a single house. See the image gallery for further information.

Maynard’s Corner  

26/27/34/35

M20/1 Mile & Stone

 

 

 

Pinchtown

25

2 Mile & Luce

 

Also in Lincoln Township. Although it has been reported that Pinchtown is another name for  Aetna, maps show Pinchtown being 1 mile further north. In 1867 Sours & Simon had a general store there. Legend has it that Mr. Levi W. Simon was noted for his precise methods of conducting his business. He never shorted a customer, and at the same time made certain he didn't cheat himself. - One time while weighing a pound of crackers for a customer he pinched some off one cracker to balance the scales. The story soon became told around and from that time on the town was known as Pinch Town.

 

ENSLEY TOWNSHIP

 

 

Pioneer Sketches, by James Kinney

 

 

Ensley

 

 

 

See Ensley Center

 

Ensley Center

15/16/21/22

120th & Cypress

 

Benjamin Ensley came in 1854 and opened a half-way house here on the state road between Grand Rapids and Grand Traverse; the township organized 1858 was named for him; storekeeper George E. Cook became the first postmaster of Ensley Center in 1882; also known as Ensley’s Corners. See Grove.

A small but still active community

Ensley's Corners

 

 

 

See Ensley Center

 

Grove

 

 

 

George F. Cook became its first postmaster on November 6, 1883. Remained in operation until September 14, 1903. Taylor's notes put this at the same location as Ensley Center.

 

Kinney's Grove

23

120th & Butternut?

 

 

 

Mineral Springs

 

 

 

Ranson E. French became the first postmaster on February 10, 1873. The post office closed November 17, 1876.

 

Plumville

 

 

 

A settlement around the gristmill and saw mills owned and operated by John Frey; apiarist S. Wilber Frey became its first postmaster on December 6, 1892 and closed September 14, 1903.

 

EVERETT TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Allyton / Alleyton / Alley's Town

 

 

History #1, History #2 

 A village in Everett Township it was founded by J. Alley Lumber Company, in 1873; Charles S. Watson became its first postmaster on 8 December 1873, the office operating until 1 October 1891; the village also known as Alley’s Town was almost wiped out by fire in 1882.

 

Cox's Corners

 

 

 

See Utley's Corners. (Note there is also a Cox's Corners in Sherman Township.) (Taylor)

 

Fields

 10

Probably along Larch

 

Also known as Fields Crossing and Fields Station. A station on a branch of the Chicago and Western Railroad in 1886; lumberman John J. Williams became the first postmaster of this sawmill settlement June 17, 1889, the office operating until November 15, 1900.

 

Fields Crossing

 

 

 

See Fields

 

Fields Station

 

 

 

See Fields

 

Gilbert

 

 

 

A station on the Pere-Marquette Railroad in 1910. (Taylor)

 

Morgan Station  

 

 

 

Also in Wilcox Township. Renamed White Cloud March 26, 1877. 

 

Morgantown

 

 

 

Also in Wilcox Township. See White Cloud.

 

Morganville

 

 

 

Also in Wilcox Township. See White Cloud.

 

Uhl

20

 

 

A piggery and railroad station (Taylor)

 

Utley's Corners

7

12th & Pine

 

Also in Big Prairie Township. Also known as Cox's Corners. (Note there is also a Cox's Corners in Sherman Township.) (Taylor)

 

White Cloud

4/5/6

Baseline & M37

 

Also in Wilcox Township. Originally founded in 1871as a lumber camp by Lester C. Morgan and Sextus N. Wilcox. It was given a railroad depot as Morgan Station in 1873 and a post office with the same name July 22, 1873. Mr. Morgan was the first postmaster. Name changed to White Cloud on March 26, 1877; Fred Ramsey became president when the village was incorporated in 1879. Incorporated as a city in 1950. Now the county seat.

 Now a modern community

GARFIELD TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

5 Corners

36

96th, Colonial, & M37 (Mason)

No

Also in Ashland, Grant, and Brooks Townships. Not in Sandy's list.

Only houses and modern structures

Bishop / Bishop's Corners

17/18/19/20

M82 & Croswell

History

In Garfield Township, founded in 1898 by Garrit Dobben a storekeeper and the first postmaster. Named for the congressman from that district, Roswell P. Bishop; its post office opened on 3 March 1898 and remained in operation until 31 October 1901. 

Apartment bldg, farms.

Dixville

 2/3

 48th & Ferris

 

Also in Sherman Township. (Taylor)

 

Idlewild

 

 

 

North side of Kimball & Pickerell Lakes. (Taylor) Probably on Gordon just south of 48th.

 

Indian Town

 

 

 

2 miles below Newaygo on the Muskegon River. (Taylor) Probably in Garfield Township.

 

Newaygo

24

M82 & M37

Gallery

Also in Brooks Township. Originally incorporated as a village in 1867, Newaygo was later incorporated as a city on September 1, 1967. The city was named for the Chippewa Indian Chief Naw-wa-goo, who signed the Treaty of Saginaw in 1812. The city was founded by John A. Brooks, who first arrived in the area around 1836.

Now a modern community

GOODWELL TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Goodwell

15/16

Cypress ~1/4 mile north of 3 Mile

 

First Postmaster was Mary Jane Seward on July 25, 1898 in a farmhouse. The office was in operation until December 15, 1905, 9 ½ miles from White Cloud 

The cemetery and township hall are all that remain. 

Trumbull Corners

32/33

Baseline & Elm

 

Also in Big Prairie Township.

No evidence of any structures or past settlement. 

GRANT TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

5 Corners

6

96th, Colonial, & M37 (Mason)

No

Also in Ashland, Garfield, and Brooks Townships. Not in Sandy's list.

Only houses and modern structures

Sun

27

 

 

Settled in 1862. James H. Manning became its first postmaster on May 12, 1884. The post office closed September 30, 1903.

 

HOME TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Jackson Corners

20/21/28/29

14 Mile & Walnut

 

 

 

Lockerby Town  

35

 

 

Little is known of this town beyond that a sawmill existed there, today it is just an open field. A sawmill owned by Dan Lockerby Jr. exists a few hundred feet from the original site.

 

Uno

22

 

 

Former lumber camp. (Taylor)

 

Whore's Corners

35/36

12 Mile or 13 Mile and Oak

 

Because of its location surrounded by lumber camps this site was a favorite with the lumber crews. There at one time was a restaurant, chapel and rooming house where prostitutes entertained the loggers.  It ceased to exist when due to incapacitating effects of venereal disease the lumber camp owners drove the women away. Today only an open field remains.

 

LILLEY TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Alderson

 3

 

 

A station on the Pere Marquette Railroad and a settlement around the general store of J.J. Alderson; William L. Walters became its first postmaster on March 6, 1906, succeeded by C.S. Wallace in 1908.

 

Bitely / Biteley

28 

Bingham at Bitely Lake 

 

A station on the Chicago and Western Michigan Railroad in 1884, this village was founded by Steven and Jerome Bitely in 1889, and given a post office on September 19, 1889, with Archer D. Martin as its first postmaster; named for Steven Bitely who built a sawmill here but the spelling of the post office was Biteley.

 

Lilley

15

15 Mile & M37

 

Founded in 1844 as a station on the Chicago and Western Michigan railroad (now Pere Marquette) by Sisson and Lilley Lumber Company, owned and operated by George E. Session and Francis Lilley of Grand Haven. Edward Keets became its first postmaster on May 22, 1884.  

 

Sisson

13

15 Mile somewhere near Pettibone Lake

 

A settlement formed by the Sisson and Lilley Lumber Company of Grand Haven. They built a mill here in 1884. Note Sisson Lake in Section 11.

 

Stiles

3

 

 

Settlement founded around the Stiles brothers’ sawmill. A station on the Chicago and Western Railroad; Eppy D. Hazard became its first postmaster on September 13, 1890. The post office closed December 20, 1895.

 

Walkup

31

 

History #1, History #2

Also known as West Troy. A post office operated here from August 9, 1882 until May 29, 1893. (Taylor) It appears that this site is located in Section 31 (south east of Bitely), and the site is just north west of Walkup Lake. Walkup Lake is known to locals as Blue Lake, although this contradicts the information provided in the .pdf files. (Buozis)

Abandoned

West Troy

31

 

 

See Walkup.

 

LINCOLN TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Aetna

30/31

M20/1 Mile & Luce

 

Also in Lincoln Township

 

Diamond Lake / Diamond Loch

 

 

 

See Ramona

 

Park City  

 

 

Gallery, History

Exact location not available at this time. Park City was a station on the Chicago and Western Michigan Railroad in 1884.The mill was dismantled in 1890. When the settlement ceased to exist, the Pere-Marquette Railroad Depot was relocated to Brookings. (Reynolds)

Very little evidence of it's existence remains. See the image gallery for further information.

Pinchtown

30

2 Mile & Luce

 

Also in Denver Township. Not in Sandy's list.

 

Ramona

13

Jackson/M37 at railroad

Gallery

The West Michigan Lumber Company built a sawmill here in 1881 under the direction of company president and general manager E. B. Wright. Being beside Diamond Lake it was given a post office by that name on December 22, 1881. The office was renamed Diamondloch; the office closed on June 25, 1895 but was restored January 11, 1898 with Manassas D. Schmucker as its postmaster. It was given a station under the name of Diamond Loch on the Chicago and Western Michigan Railroad. In 1904 a Dr. Pechuman, of Chicago, who owned a home on the lake, and William Biglow, a resort owner in the area, renamed it Ramona, because it reminded them of a beautiful scene in Helen Hunt Jackson’s novel, Ramona. The post office was so renamed on June 7, 1904.See the image gallery for further information.

Several nice houses, a convenience store, public access, etc. are now in this area.

MERRILL TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Brohman

13

Pierce & M-37

 

A station on the Chicago and Western Railroad in Monroe Township, was founded by hotelman Otia Dingman; with Jarred Dingman as its first postmaster it was given the name Otia on 20 June 1882, Its named changed to Dingman on 28 September 1883, back to Otia on 20 January 1885, and finally to Brohman on 5 May 1920. 

 

Brookings

 

 

A settlement that was formed around the mill of the Brookings Lumber Company after which it was named. It was given a station on the Chicago and Western Railroad Line in 1884 and on 7 February 1889 a post office with Corrain S. Udell as its first postmaster; the office was closed on 29 April 1892 but was restored from 28 January 1895 to 8 June 1895.  

 

Dingham

 

 

 

See Brohman

 

Shaw

 

 

 

Located five miles from Bitely. On July 30, 1897 Edward G. Hulst became the first postmaster. The office closed on August 16, 1909.

 

Otia

 

 

 

See Brohman

 

Rodley Ranch

32

~1/2 mile north of 6 Mile, between Croswell & Baldwin

 

Not in Sandy's list

 

Woodland Park

3/4/9/10

11 Mile & Bingham

 

Platted as an African American resort town by Marion E. Arthur of Cleveland and Alvin E. Wright of Chicago in 1923, Woodland Park is located on the shores of Woodland Lake.

 

MONROE TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Foxville

23

Probably along Buchanan

 

Horning & Hart operated a saw mill in this area. (Taylor)

 

Hall's Corner

35

6 Mile & Thornapple

 

Also in Wilcox. (Taylor)

 

NORWICH TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Barstows Switch

16

Probably along Hungerford Lake Drive or 9 Mile & Dogwood

 

 

 

Hungerford

15/16/21/22

M20/9 Mile & M20/Cypress

 

Hungerford started out as a lumbering town in 1872, and was a station on the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. George French was its first postmaster starting on March 3, 1876. The office closed May 14, 1906. Named because of its location close to Hungerford Lake.

 

Cook’s Station  

 

 

 

See Woodville. Erastus Downing became its first postmaster on Feb. 27 1868, and the office was in operation until April 30, 1974. 

 

Home

 

 

 

See Woodville

 

Keno

 

 

History 

Named after a dog belonging to William H. Horning, one of the owners of the Horning & Hartt Lumber Company. Horning became the first postmaster on June 17, 1889; the office closed on May 21, 1897. (Vincent) (Grinnell, Norman E., Audit of Historical Settlements in Northern Newaygo County, 1976.) 

 

Lumberton

 

 

 

A lumber town and a station on the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. Daniel J. Reichert became its first postmaster on May 17, 1880. The office operated until November 19, 1886.

 

Norwich

20

Probably Hardwick & Hickory

 

 

 

Traverse Roads

 

 

 

See Woodville. In 1880 this was a station on the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad.

 

Woodville

30

Filmore/Polk & Pine

1, 2, 3

Formerly known as Cook's Station and Home, also noted as Traverse Roads, this was once a stage coach stop on the Grand Rapids to Traverse City State Road. On October 7, 1867 Edwin Pettibone became the first postmaster. On 20 April 1874 the office was transferred and renamed Woodville; Home post office was re-established February 18, 1875 and operated until it closed November 13, 1882. 

Now a small, modern community. 

SHERIDAN TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Big Gullies

32/33

91st(?) & Lupin

 

Shown on the 1880 Atlas, may just be a description of the topography (Taylor)

No evidence of a community, but a very deep gully.

Brookside

15/16/21/22

72nd & Green

History, School Board, 1

Center of Sheridan Township named by pioneer settler William E. Gould from its nearness to Brooks Creek that was named for John A. Brooks, early Newaygo Lumberman; storekeeper John Pikaart became its first postmaster on 11 April 1890. The office remained open until 31 October 1901.

Former church(?) now private residence

Brunswick

18

Maple Island Road (M120)

 

Also in Muskegon County. On the Newaygo and Muskegon county lines. Was founded about 1873 as the point where the stage met the Muskegon to White Cloud train and mail and passengers were taken to Hesperia. It was first called County Line. It later was called Marionville after its first postmaster Isaac Marion who was appointed 31 May 1881 but the name of the post office was Dash; the post office was renamed Brunswick, Muskegon County on 15 September 1897 and was transferred to Newaygo County 1 April 1943.

A small community, including one or two stores, a few houses, and a Catholic church, school and cemetery still exist.

Clark’s Corner  

31

48th (M82) & Maple Island (M120) 

 

Also in Dayton Township. Also in Muskegon and Oceana Counties. Now referred to as 5 Mile Corner by locals. 

Gas station, motorcycle dealership, farm implement store, etc. Clark Cemetery is also located here.

Dash

 

 

 

See Brunswick

 

Fremont

1/2/3

48th & M82

Gallery 

Also in Dayton Township. Named for  Civil War general and explorer by Samuel Shupe. Daniel Weaver became the first postmaster on August 23, 1856 under the name of Weaversville. At one time this community may have also been known as Newfoundland.

Currently the largest community in the county. Home of Gerber Baby Foods.

Fremont Center

 

 

 

Also in Dayton Township. See Fremont

 

Fremont Lake

 

 

 

Railroad flag station near Fremont Lake in Sheridan Township in 1878.

 

Marionville

 

 

 

See Brunswick

 

McQueen

 

 

History 

See Reeman 

 

McQueen Siding  

 

 

History 

See Reeman

 

Newfoundland

 

 

 

Also in Dayton Township. See Fremont. The Portrait & Biographical Album of Newaygo County (see the Forgotten Stories pages) gives the following: "Mr. Alton returned home in the spring, and Philip and Wallace Dickinson came to Fremont, then called Newfoundland, March 7,1855, where they spent their first night in the 'old log house."

 

Reed’s Mill  

 

 

History  

See Reeman. Frank Reed’s Mill gave this lumbering mill settlement its name. The mill burned in 1898.

 

Reeman

8

60th & Fitzgerald

History , History #2

Founded by Jarrad McQueen in 1865. In 1894 Frank Reed built a flourmill and John Brinkman built a general store there. The town was named from a combination of the names; Mr. Brinkman became its first postmaster on April 9, 1897; a Reeman is a station on the Chicago & Western Michigan (now Pere Marquette) Railroad.

A small but thriving farm community

Reeman’s Corners  

 

 

History  

See Reeman 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sitka

31/32

96th & Dickinson

1, 2, History 

Named Sitka because of Sitka being in the news as the capital of Alaska, which the American government had just purchased from Russia on 1867. Halby W. Crawford became its first postmaster on 14 December 1868, the post office was closed on 2 February 1885 but was reopened 15 December 1891 to 31 October 1901. Also in Bridgeton Township.

 A small, close knit and very friendly community still exists. United Methodist Church is still active.

Town House

21

72nd & Comstock

 

(Taylor)

 

Weaverville / Weaversville

 

 

 

Also in Dayton Township. See Fremont. Name changed to Fremont Center in 1862, then Fremont in 1911.

 

SHERMAN TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Cox's Corners

12

 

 

(Taylor) (Note there is also a Cox's Corners in Big Prairie/Everett Townships.)

 

Dixville

 34/35

 48th & Ferris

 

Also in Garfield Township. (Taylor)

 

Jugville (not ever a town)

9/10

12th & Bingham

 

Located between White Cloud and Fremont on M-20. Settled by vaudevillian Ernest Jack Sharp also known under the pen name “Newaygo Newt”.  

A few houses, a store, and a resort on Robinson Lake remain. 

Ryerson Station

15 

 

 

 

 

Wooster

16/21

24th & Wisner

1 

A small mill settlement and flag station on a branch of the Chicago and North Western Railroad originally named Worcester (pronounced Wooster). It was given a post office as Wooster Hill on November 14, 1882 with William Moll as its first Postmaster. The office closed on 22 October 1891.  

 

Wooster Hill

 

 

 

See Wooster 

 

Worcester Hill

 

 

 

See Wooster 

 

Worchester Station

 

 

 

See Wooster 

 

TROY TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Allen Creek

 

 

 

About 3 miles northwest of Beaver

 

Beaver

 

 

 

See Troy. May have once been called Barton? (Taylor)

 

Kirk

 

 

 

See Troy

 

Troy

29/30/31/32

13 Mile & Dickinson

 

May have been formerly known as Beaver and Kirk. Albertus M. Andrews became the first postmaster of this hamlet on August 2, 1872, the office operated until February 18, 1874

 

Walgamot Corners

26/35

13 Mile & Osborn

 

Not in Sandy's list

 

Walker's Corners

11/14

16 Mile & Osborn

 

Not in Sandy's list

 

Walkup

 

 

 

See Walkup in Lilley Township

 

West Troy

 

 

 

See Walkup in Lilley Township

 

WILCOX TOWNSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

Hall's Corner

2

6 Mile & Thornapple

 

Also in Monroe. (Taylor)

 

Morgan Station  

 

 

 

Also in Everett Township. Renamed White Cloud March 26, 1877. 

 

Morgantown

 

 

 

Also in Everett Township. See White Cloud.

 

Morganville

 

 

 

Also in Everett Township. See White Cloud.

 

White Cloud

31/32/33

Baseline & M37

 

Also in Everett Township. Originally founded in 1871as a lumber camp by Lester C. Morgan and Sextus N. Wilcox. It was given a railroad depot as Morgan Station in 1873 and a post office with the same name July 22, 1873. Mr. Morgan was the first postmaster. Name changed to White Cloud on March 26, 1877; Fred Ramsey became president when the village was incorporated in 1879. Incorporated as a city in 1950. Now the county seat.

Now a modern community. 

Whitford's Corners

17

Jackson & M37

 

Not in Sandy's list

 

LOCATION NOT CONFIRMED

 

 

 

 

 

Andersons Corner

 

 

 

 

 

Applegarth Corners

 

 

 

Ashland Township near Applegarth School? 

 

Ashland Corner

 

 

 

 

 

Ashland Station

 

 

 

 

 

Bark’s Corner

 

 

 

 

 

Barnard / Barnhard

 

 

 

This rural post office was named for John W. Barnard who became the first postmaster on May 25, 1883 but the office was closed on August 16, of the same year. Mail was then redirected to Chase.

 

Barton

 

 

 

This village named after it township was given a post office on 6 May 1869 with Francis H. Hooker as its first postmaster, the office operated until 6 November 1871; it was also given a railroad station. 

 

Beckenridge

 

 

 

Believed to of been named after presidential candidate John C. Beckenridge; Nathaniel J. Russell became the first postmaster on 23 August 1856. The office went out 27 January 1857.

 

Breckinridge

 

 

 

Beckenridge? 

 

Brooks

 

 

 

Founded in 1860 and named for John A. Brooks, an early Newaygo Lumberman. Brooks was given a post office on May 3rd, 1881 with Lucas B. Mills as its first postmaster. The office closed on November 30th, 1903. 

 

Brooks Mill

 

 

 

 

 

Bruce’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Bull’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Bultman’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Butler’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Canavan’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Cater’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Chase

 

 

 

 

 

Cherry Hill  

 

 

 

 

 

City View Farm 

 

 

 

 

 

Cole Creek

 

 

 

Post office existed from April 27, 1904 to February 28 of the same year. Mail sent to Hesperia in 1910. (Taylor)

 

Coburn’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Cooks

 

 

 

 

 

County Line  

 

 

 

 

 

Culp’s Mill

 

 

 

 

 

Daisy’s Pond  

 

 

 

Branstrom Park in Fremont? 

 

Dash

 

 

 

 

 

Dayton

 

 

 

 

 

Deeter’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Denver

 

 

 

See Martinsburg. Lewis Martin became the first postmaster of this post office, named after its township, on August  3,1866; the office was closed on July 12, 1870 but on the same day the Martinsburg post office was transferred to and renamed Denver; this Denver office was closed January 12, 1882.  

 

DeYoung’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Dill’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Doud’s Corner  

 

 

 

Dayton Township near Doud's School? 

 

Drake’s Hill  

 

 

 

 

 

Drew

 

 

 

In 1910 this was a station on the Pere-Marquette Railroad. Mail went to Newaygo. (Taylor)

 

Dubois’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Elm Corner

 

 

 

"Miss Helen, daughter of Norman Cunningham, having taught the first school at Elm Corners east of Fremont in 1856." (Harry Spooner) Daniel R. Joslin built his log cabin at this site in 1854. (Taylor)

 

Elm’s Corners  

 

 

 

See Elm Corner 

 

Forest City

 

 

 

 

 

Forks

 

 

 

 

 

Fox’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Godfrey’s Mill

 

 

 

 

 

Gracy’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Graham’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Grant Station  

 

 

 

 

 

Grant’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Greenwood

 

 

 

 

 

Hermson’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Holmdale

 

 

 

Named after the first postmaster Jennie Holman, a rural post office opened here April 24, 1901. The post office closed on 14 June 1902.  

 

Homedale

 

 

 

Holmdale? 

 

Howard’s Hill  

 

 

 

 

 

Hulbert’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Ish’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Jenson

 

 

 

Post office opened October 31, 1882 with James F. Barnes as the first postmaster. Post office closed September 6, 1883. 

 

Jewell

 

 

 

On June 8, 1901 the first post office opened with Oscar L. Heath as postmaster; August 14, 1906 the post office closed.  A station on the Pere Marquette Railroad. 

 

Johnson’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Kempf’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Klondyke (Oceana)  

 

 

 

 

 

Kolk’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Leighton’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Lewis’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Lovelace’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Maate’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Mallery’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Marlborough (Lake County) 

 

 

History 

 

 

Martinsburgh

 

 

 

Later renamed as Denver. The post office, which opened on May 16, 1870 with George H. Hubbard as postmaster, was transferred to Denver on July 12, 1870. The original Denver office was closed on that same day. The new office was named Denver.

 

McCool’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

McLane

 

 

 

 A lumber settlement with a station on a branch of the Chicago & Western (now Pere Marquette) Railroad; Lumberman Alexander Reid became its first postmaster on 11 September 1882. The office operated until 17 August 1886.

 

McWinney’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Mitchell’s Prairie  

 

 

 

Named after Samuel S. Mitchell who became its first postmaster on February 6, 1868. The office operated until March 1, 1870. 

 

Monroeville

 

 

 

 

 

Montgromery’s Corners  

 

 

 

 

 

Morgan

 

 

 

Morgan Station / Morgantown / Morganville / White Cloud? 

 

Olney’s Corner   

 

 

 

 

 

Palmerville

 

 

 

Located in the northeast corner of the county, Palmerville was named for Luke Palmer who was the first postmaster, starting on May 25, 1883. The post office closed on July 21, 1884.

 

Panoma

 

 

 

Lewis Martin became the first postmaster June 9, 1860. He was succeeded by Ebenezer Dobson on August 18, 1863, and William Rogers on November 29, 1869. The post office closed January 15, 1872.

 

Patterson’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Pell’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Pennoyer Creek

 

 

 

Lumbermen Augustus and Frederick Pennoyer built the fist sawmill in the area in 1836-37; the brothers operated the mill until their death by drowning in 1841, when their associates Samuel Rose and Hannibal Hyde continued it.

 

Pingree's Dam

 

 

 

A station on the Chicago and Michigan Lake Shore Railroad in 1876.

 

Potter’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Prang’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Preston’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Reed’s Corner  

 

 

 

 

 

Reed’s Hill  

 

 

 

 

 

Reynolds

 

 

 

Identified on 1925 road map; location unknown. (Taylor)

 

Scholame’s Corner